700g red skinned potatoes, peeled and diced
2 fillets of natural smoked haddock, boned and skinned
2 stems of chopped fresh dill
3 strands of saffron toasted and ground
2 spring onion, chopped
2 egg yolks
groundnut oil for shallow frying
tbsp of plain flour
200mls whole milk, salt and pepper, 2 bay leaves
how to build
1. boil or steam the potatoes for 10 -12 minutes until tender. drain well, dry and mash. allow to cool.
2. place the fish in a large frying pan and cover with milk and bay leaves and some of the spring onion. bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. drain and allow to cool.
3. fry the spring onions until soft
4. mix the potato, dill, saffron and fish together, add spring onions and egg yolks, add tbsp of flour and mix gently season and mould into 8 fish cakes. Heat the groundnut oil and shallow fry in 2 batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
5. serve with Papa Djabs Black Label and delicious fresh oyster leaves. (can be found growing wild on some Scottish beaches) tastes like oyster. Goes well with an ice-cold beer.